When we communicate we use words, the tone of voice and body language to get our message across and no doubt you have read about the 7:38:55 % Rule. ‘Popular sources’ state that these figures relate to the relative importance of the components of any message we communicate and receive:
- 7% relates to the importance of the words we use
- 38% refers to the tone of voice and inflexion
- 55% refers to the importance of body language/face.
That’s amazing. Except that it’s not true. This is not what the original research by Albert Mehrabian concluded.
It doesn’t relate to any type of communication. It is context specific. These figures mainly relate to a situation where we are forming an attitude (like or dislike) of someone. So the words could still be the most important part of the message. The body language and tone of voice are what we mainly use to assess whether we like the person delivering the message.
The other situation where non-verbal communication seems to have priority is where there is a conflict between the words and non-verbal stuff. If communication lacks congruence, we are more like to disbelief the words. None of this is the same as saying ‘in any communication’.
Often, in research, the context is everything!
If you found this body language post interesting:
- Sign up to be the first to get notifications by email of Gary’s new psychology and coaching blog posts
- Please use the buttons below to share this blog post with friends, colleagues and followers
- Check out about Gary’s EVENTS and SPECIAL OFFERS
About the author
Dr Gary Wood is the author of Unlock Your Confidence which aims to help people to develop their inherent abilities and relax about communication rather than obsessing over abstract techniques. The book covers the basics of body language and other practical tips for forming positive first impressions His previous book Don’t Wait For Your Ship to Come In. . . Swim Out to Meet It has been translated into several languages including French (Changez Votre Vie). Registered with the Life Coach Directory
- Things to do instead of obsessing over body language
- Other body language posts by Gary Wood
- Unlock Your Confidence by Gary Wood – Amazon Store (USA)
- Unlock Your Confidence – Amazon Store (UK)
- Life Coaching and Confidence Building with Gary Wood (in Birmingham and Edinburgh)