“What does “don’t wait for your ship to come in, swim out to meet it” mean?” has been appearing in the list of searched terms on my blog quite a lot, recently. So, I thought I’d take the opportunity to explain it more fully, without you having to buy the book to find out. You may have uttered the phrases ‘someday my numbers will come up’ or “some day my ship will come in’. These words are based on the idea that a stroke of luck with change our fortunes. Now wishful thinking is fine but it should be just the start. What often eludes us is knowing exactly where to start to turn things around in our lives. We need a plan and we need to take action and that’s where the ‘swimming out to meet your ship’ comes in. You can trust your life to the fickle hand of fate or rise to the challenge of taking matters into your own hands. So the phrase ‘Don’t Wait For Your Ship to Come In” means “Don’t wait around for fate or luck” and “Swim Out to Meet It” means “Decide what you want and set about taking steps to achieve it”. After wishful thinking there needs to be purposeful, decisive action.
In the book (with this title), I break the phrase down into three stages of goal-achievement:
- Don’t Wait. . . represents INSIGHT. . . and the recognition that something needs to change.
- Your Ship. . . which acknowledges OWNER-SHIP. . . It’s your ship, your dream, so it’s up to you to do something about it.
- Swim Out To Meet It. . . represents ACTION.
I use this basic principle in my coaching practice where I work with clients through this process, using a strengths-based, solution-focused approach.Recognizing that action takes courage, I’ll begin with the green shoots and nurture them in line with your goals. That’s how we build motivation and confidence.
So that’s it. ‘Don’t Wait For Your Ship To Come In. . . Swim Out To Meet It‘ is basically a challenge, a call to action. You can still believe in destiny, fate or the cosmic order, but there’s nothing to say that you can’t give fate a helping hand. In fact, it’s a must.
- Click to view to view excerpts from the book ‘Don’t Wait For Your Ship to Come In . . . Swim Out To Meet It’
- Other books by Gary Wood – Amazon Store (USA) and on Amazon Store (UK)
- Life coaching with Gary Wood (Birmingham, Edinburgh and On-line)